Ronald McDonald House near Blank Children’s Hospital
1441 Pleasant St., Des Moines, IA 50314
Office Hours: 8am-8pm
- 18-bedrooms with bathrooms
- Shared kitchens & dining room
How to Access Services at RMH near Blank Children’s Hospital
- In order to stay at the Ronald McDonald House near Blank Children's Hospital, the patient must be aged 21 or younger and be utilizing a medical facility around the Des Moines area. The legal guardian/parent of the patient must be ages 18 years or older to utilize a room on their own.
- Families staying at this House must have a referral from a social worker from the medical facility that their child is utilizing.
- PLEASE NOTE: all families who wish to stay at the Ronald McDonald House are required to complete an online extensive background check and successfully pass it.
- Once the social workers referral has been received and the background check has been completed, applicants will receive a call from an RMH staff member informing them if their background check was sufficient or not.
- For families that may not feel comfortable leaving their child overnight, we have the option to visit as a day guest. Day guests are able to visit from 8am-8pm for respite reasons which include meals, laundry, and other common spaces. All day guests are required a LobbyGuard background check.
Important things to note
- One room per patient family.
- Families may check-in between the hours of 8am-8pm. Please allow at least 30 minutes for the check-in process, which includes a brief orientation/tour and minimal paperwork.
- We require everyone staying to be infection-free.
- We have a suggested donation of $10 per night, however no family is ever turned away if they are unable to pay
- Families clean their rooms before check-out.
- Families are able to utilize their rooms as long as their child is utilizing the medical facility.
- Families must be respectful and tolerant of other families who are equally concerned about the well-being of their children.
- RMHC is a secure facility. Once families check in, they are free to come and go as they please. RMHC policy asks that you use your room every 24 hours. If you are not able to use the room daily, RMHC asks that you check-out. Families are able to leave 2 nights a month with the required $10 fee to hold your room.
- Families are required to pay a $10 refundable key deposit per room key (2 keys maximum).